Carleton University goes grant hunting with YPITData
Carleton University is located in Ottawa, Ontario. Originally founded in 1942, Carleton grew in size to meet the needs of returning World War II veterans and became Ontario’s first private, non-denominational college. Today it is a public university, offering more than 65 academic programs across a wide range of disciplines. Carleton is reputed for its strength in a variety of fields, such as engineering, industrial design, humanities, international business and many of the disciplines housed in its Faculty of Public Affairs (including international affairs, journalism, political science, political economy, political management, public policy and administration, and legal studies). For more info visit www.carleton.ca
University are known for their research excellence and as centres of critical thought, development of new ideas and scientific breakthroughs. To foster that research and betterment of society, governments and organizations support faculty and researchers through grants and other funding mechanisms. In Canada, the development of the Canadian Common CV (CCV) initially by the Canadian Institute for Health Research and more recently adopted by several other large funding institutions has been hailed as a means of harmonizing and standardizing the funding application process.
The documents used by field staff are large and unwielding. Jobsites are not kind to paper being outdoors, in a dirt environment and constantly unfurled, so the risk to damage or loss of official City records is great and not acceptable. However, city inspection staff need access to the reviewed drawings to identify areas of concern from the engineers. So how does one go about safeguarding the official records while providing access to all the staff that would need to view those records?
Depending on the stage a researcher or faculty member is in their career, transferring their current resume into the CCV format can be quite time-consuming.
- A tenured faculty member could spent up to 40 hours transferring their resume content into the CCV. When the grant application itself requires completion, this is not a viable option.
- Another alternative is to get research or administrative assistants to take on the task, but without the experience of using the CCV interface and with other work to be completed, this rarely is a successful option.
- The final alternative is to simply skip applying for funding, which doesn’t serve the faculty, students or university well.
Client Case Studies
- Academia - Carleton University
- Direct Mail - TRICO evolution
- Direct Mail - ampersand
- Govt - City of Kitchener Building Dept
- Media - iPolitics
- Not For Profit - Charity Donor List
- Small Business - Middle Atlantic Products
- Software Testing - bv02
- Tech Startup - BrightFish Learning
- Tech Startup - Text2 Systems
- Trucking - McConnell Transport